Business: Alpha Media Holdings, Mail & Guardian
Trevor Ncube is a media entrepreneur and he is based in South Africa. He is the majority shareholder of Mail & Guardian (South Africa), and Alpha Media Holdings, which is the holding company 3 Zimbabwean newspapers: NewsDay, The Standard and Zimbabwe Independent. Trevor Ncube also owns Munn Marketing, a magazine and a newspaper distribution company in Zimbabwe, and Strand Multiprint, a commercial and newspaper printing company. He holds a first class Bachelor of Arts in Economic History from the University of Zimbabwe. In 1994 he was named as Zimbabwean Editor of the Year. In 2008 he received the German Africa Award from the German Africa Foundation for press freedom, human right and democracy in Zimbabwe and Southern Africa. In 2012, MISA Press Freedom Award was given to him by the Media Institute of Southern Africa. He started working for join the Financial Gazette in 1989, and was later fired in 1996 for allegedly maintaining a critical stance on the government. After loosing his job, he started his own company, Alpha Media Holdings, which started by publishing the Zimbabwe Independent weekly newspaper. He has held posts in the following companies:
- President of Print Media South Africa and Chair of the Newspaper Association of South Africa from 2004–2008.
- Group Director Editorial, Zimbabwe Independent (1996–2000)
- Editor-in-Chief, Zimbabwe Independent (1996–2000)
- Executive Editor, The Financial Gazette (1991–1996)
- Assistant Editor, The Financial Gazette (1989–1991)
He has also received the following awards:
- Zimbabwe Editor of the Year | 1994
- Council for Development of Economic Research in Africa (CODERSA)
- University Zimbabwe Post Graduate Scholarship
- International Publishers Association Freedom Prize Award 2007
- German Africa Award 2008
- Ncube was bestowed the Nation Media Group Life Achievement Award 2010
A note from StartupBiz Zimbabwe: Everyday we send business updates via Whatsapp. Send the word “Subscribe” via Whatsapp to +263778798072 (StartupBiz Zimbabwe) to receive free business ideas and business tips in your Whatsapp Inbox everyday.