In the past couple of years, more and more Zimbabweans have become interested in trading on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange (ZSE). Nowadays, it is easier for anyone to get involved in stock trading in Zimbabwe. We here at Startupbiz Zimbabwe actually have lots of literature we have published over time in this regard. We even have Startupbiz Stocks groups on WhatsApp; anyone interested can join. All this is to encourage as many as possible to get involved in trading on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange (ZSE). We currently have an ongoing Portfolio Building Competition (from 15 August to 16 September 2022).
Portfolio Building Competition Overview
There will be monetary prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placed portfolios. There will also be a prize for the portfolio with the highest rising counter in the competition period. These are hypothetical portfolios and participants will be required to use a budget of ZWL$100 000. They will also be required to pick their allocation weights using market share prices as of 12 August 2022.
A portfolio will consist of 5 to 10 counters of choice. The determination of who wins will be based on which portfolio gains the greatest between 15 August and 16 September 2022. The Financial Preacher and Tendai Moyana sponsor the competition. This is just a small way of encouraging people to become actively involved in stock trading.
Interestingly, an almost similar initiative dubbed C-Trade Fantasy was recently announced. Here is the press statement that was issued on the 6th of September 2022:
Escrow Group has partnered with Nedbank and Alpha Media Holdings (AMH) to introduce C-TRADE FANTASY.
This is an edutainment initiative targeting Zimbabweans, especially the youths, to participate in the capital markets. This will be done using an online simulation of live trading on a simulated C-TRADE platform at the local stock exchanges. It is anchored on the technology infrastructure for trading on the C-TRADE platform for the secondary trading of securities.
The initiative’s main objectives are to impart knowledge on investment in securities and create a culture of saving and investing in Zimbabwe. The challenge further creates an avenue for educating the Zimbabweans, especially youth, on prudent investment decision-making and risk management processes.
During the challenge, participants will receive free training from experts, continuous guidance and the chance to practise their newly gained skills. The investment challenge, which commences on the 15th of September 2022, will be televised on Heart and Soul TV every Tuesday at 3 pm and winners will be announced.
Practice Trading Modalities
The participant will be required to download the C-TRADE Fantasy App or access C-Trade online here.
Register for C-TRADE and fantasy funds of ZWL$1 million will be credited to their virtual account.
Once completed, the participant will be able to build their fantasy portfolio by analysing live markets and making their stock picks.
Some of the features of the C-Trade Fantasy are:
- Eligible participants to register for the fantasy and at the same time, create their live trading accounts
- Participants will each be allocated ZWL$1 million virtual cash for practice purposes.
- The platform will have access to live market data to enable simulated securities trading.
- It will also act as a demo platform for those requiring a practical feel of our markets without having to part with real money.
- Trading will be as if one is trading on the real market but using virtual money.
- Participants will be able to test their skills in analysing and picking the right stocks to build their virtual portfolios.
- The platform will track the performance of the virtual portfolios for each participant and rank them according to performance.
- The highest performers will receive various prizes monthly. In contrast, at the end of each 6-month season, the best performers will be awarded the full value of their portfolio in real money for their investment in the live market.
- Participants will also be able to create their own mini leagues among their friends and families to compare their portfolio performance.
- On a monthly basis, the participant with the highest value will win different types of prizes, including cash and data.
The Fantasy Concept Has Limitless Applications In The Commercial World
I am sure most of you follow soccer leagues and are aware of fantasy premier soccer leagues. It is interesting that some brands are even using such fantasy premier soccer leagues to market their brands. I know of Soki’s Sochis Sausages brand by Kudzai Masoka. He set up a Bhuruvors Fantasy League with 20 kilograms of sausages up for grabs. C-Trade Fantasy is also interesting in that it follows the same concept as the fantasy premier soccer leagues. The thrust is gamification using fun and interactive ways. This is a perfect teaching moment for businesses and startups in Zimbabwe – think of ways to build your brands using these strategies.
For those interested in stock trading, this is your opportunity. It is even high time for those uninterested to get interested. Register and leverage on C-Trade Fantasy to grasp what stock trading is all about. You really have no excuse; it is free to participate and there are prospects of winning as well. For more information, you can contact Garikayi Munema via email email@example.com. You can also call on +263 24 2751559-61.